The Daisy Hill Paediatric Centre of Excellence is a model of the “Changing for Children” strategy, developed through public consultation. The Centre is located on the 6th floor in the existing 1970’s Daisy Hill Hospital. The ambition of this project is to create a fresh, colourful, comfortable facility which is welcoming, playful and makes efficiencies in the service delivered whilst safe guarding the patients and staff.
Occupying the entire footprint of the 6th floor the new paediatric centre is comprised of an operating theatre, ambulatory care ward and in-patient ward.
Plant accommodation has been provided at roof level to serve the new centre.
- The building planning and layout have been developed to address a number of particular considerations:
- ‘Observation‘ – staff base clusters coupled with single bed wards to balance observation with potential for user dignity.
- ‘Wayfinding’ – through the department enabled by its planning,
- ‘Linkages to exterior’ – visual linkages to the outside environment which allow the patient to engage with their environment.
- ‘Staff and FM in discrete locations’ – local convenient staff areas.
- ‘Enabling Works’ – In order to allow the construction works to begin on the 6th floor the current services operating from this floor require to be decanted.
Southern Health and Social Care Trust
Daisy Hill Hospital, Newry