Rathmore is a highly respected, 1250 pupil catholic grammar school in south Belfast.
The school occupies an elevated site, surrounded by mature woodland, with wonderful views over the surrounding countryside.
It comprises a diverse collection of buildings of differing age and quality, having been extended in an adhoc basis since the 1940’s.
The practice developed in an innovative approach to the redevelopment, effectively building a new school around the existing buildings, allowing them to remain in operation throughout construction and thereby obviating the need for major temporary accommodation, with the associated nugatory expenditure.
This solution allowed the original school to be demolished on completion of the surrounding new linked blocks, creating a courtyard at the heart of the school, the focal point of which being a circular lecture / drama theatre, recognising the school’s particular reputation in drama and theatre.
A listed convent building was comprehensively refurbished to accommodate history and religious education classrooms and it now forms a new arrival building for the school at one end of the courtyard.
The Trustees Rathmore Grammar School
Architect / Lead Consultant